Thursday, October 22, 2009

Eastern Conference Preview, Quick Version

A few weeks ago, I was asked if I had done an Eastern Conference Preview on time (and not been lazy) where I would have ranked the Toronto Maple Leafs (and everyone else for that matter). My answer (which I reiterated on yesterday's episode of Cpt. Blye and the Rabbi) was middle of the pack with 7th, 8th or 9th as likely landing spots. Today that would seem ridiculous. What I'm going to do is give predictions based on what I know today, with my preseason rankings beside them. You'll have to trust that I'm telling the truth about them.


15. New York Islanders (15)
This team sucks. Tavares and Hall would make a nice combination next year.

14. Toronto Maple Leafs (8)
Goaltending, goaltending, goaltending.

13. Florida Panthers (13)
Sorry Ethan. I know that you liked them early but this team has done nothing so far

12. Atlanta Thrashers (12)
I'm not buying the start.

11. Tampa Bay Lightning (11)
Very talented first line. Nothing else.

10. Ottawa Senators (14)
Okay, they're going to finish better than 2nd last but I refuse to believe this team can make the playoffs.

9. Buffalo Sabres (10)
Again, I don't believe that these are the real Buffalo Sabres. Call me in month.

8. Carolina Hurricanes (5)
Better than they've played so far. Fifth might have been a bit high.

7. Philadelphia Flyers (4)
I suppose they're underachieving, but this team shouldn't be losing to the Florida Panthers.

6. Montreal Canadiens (7)
I honestly believe that this team is too talented to miss the playoffs. Call it blind faith. I don't care.

5. New Jersey Devils (9)
Remind me to never doubt a team backstopped by Martin Brodeur.

4. New York Rangers (6)
Pleasantly surprising though they don't get to the play the Leafs twice in the same week all time. Let's see if this can last.

3. Boston Bruins (2)
Still should win the Northeast but I doubt they'll have a top three record.

2. Pittsburgh Penguins (3)
I expected the Atlantic division (specifically Philadelphia) to be better. The Pens should run away with the division crown. Would have ranked them first but...

1. Washington Capitals (1)
I picked Alexander the Great's squad to win the Cup at the beginning and take first overall in the East. I stand by this prediction.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if you've seen this before, but I think you might like it: http://www.nfb.ca/film/just_another_job/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philly should be higher. Really. They scare the crap out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so-so on Philly. I grant that they're scary physically but their goaltending is suspect. The physical style will result in a lot of penalties and open shots against Emery. They've been great on the PK so far but I don't know if it can last.

    ReplyDelete